The moderating effect of perceived job characteristics on the proactive personality – organizational citizenship behavior relationship
September 25, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – The present study explores relationships between proactive personality and organizational citizenship behaviors. Moderators between these constructs are proposed in order to explain varying levels of dispositional impact on work behavior. These relationships were also tested to see whether proactive personality should be considered a strong or weak trait. Trait activation theory and social exchange theory are used to develop hypotheses.Design/methodology/approach – Data collected via a targeted sampling strategy from178 supervisor – subordinate dyads spanning multiple industries and organizations were used. Hypotheses were tested using hierarchical linear regression.Findings – Results indicate a positive relationship exists between proactive personality and organizationally directed citizenship behaviors, and that this relationship is moderated by both job autonomy and job meaning.Originality/value – This article is one of the first to explore the relationship between proactive personality and citizenship behaviors directed at the organization. It also bolsters the strong trait argument by demonstrating that, even in conditions of low autonomy and meaning, highly proactive individuals will still perform OCBs.
Go to Source
- The relationships amongst leader-member exchange, perceived organizational support, affective commitment, and in-role performance: A social-exchange perspective.
- What’s in there for me? Individual readiness to change and the perceived impact of organizational change
- On the origins of the worldwide surge in patenting: an industry perspective on the R&D-patent relationship
- The smart leader: examining the relationship between intelligence and leader development behavior
- Transformational leadership: a quasi-experimental study
- Keep searching and you’ll find: what do we know about variety creation through firms’ search activities for innovation?
Subscribe to our stories
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020
- SME Innovation: 10 Priorities for Support Post-COVID-19 July 7, 2020