Innovation in Africa
September 24, 2013 Editor 0
Its a cause for concern than most of the important innovations relevant to Africa are still been undertaken outside the continent. Lack of innovation systems is certainly one reason for this. We can also add resources in terms of money and institutions for research and higher learner.
Nonetheless, we also know that access to information knowledge, academic research and scientific papers do provide a rich source for individuals and companies looking for good ideas and solutions.
This was one of the primary motivation that I had when I started innovationafrica eight years ago. We would provide relevant content in science, technology and business in order that individuals and companies than learn about the important breakthroughs. Some topics we report on might seem irrelevant. However, these are important developments that can solve some of our problems. For example, developments in nano technology, solar panel technology, 3D printing, fibre optic and even design…yes design.
Last week, listening to the BBC, I heard a person from the States discussing her idea for drone as means to solve the transportation problem in Lesotho. I could not believe what I was hearing. She is America, has never been to Africa. She read a report by the World Bank that stated the cost of building one kilometre of road in Lesotho amounts to 4 million dollars. She then thought ok….innovation…what is the solution? She has obviously been reading about the use of drones in non military purposes.
Keep visiting innovationafrica, spread the word. Innovationafrica is a rich repository of content that provides ideas, learning and inspiration. So next time, when I listen to the BBC, I will hear someone from the continent with an innovative idea on how to solve the traffic jam in Nairobi!
Francis Stevens George
- 8 key approaches to accelerate financial inclusion
- Assessing the implementation and influence of policies that support research and innovation systems for health: the cases of Mozambique, Senegal, and Tanzania.
- Striking Gold with Women Entrepreneurs
- What’s the implication of 3D printers for the World Bank’s mission?
- Please RSVP: How Are Community Health Workers Using ICT?
- Infographic: Creating jobs for generations by closing the youth employment gap
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020