[Infographic] Africa Mobile connections predicted to explode to almost a billion by 2017
September 24, 2013 Editor 0
A new infographic by InternetServiceProviders.org is predicting that Africa mobile connection will grow at a rate of 6.5% from 2012 to 2017 implying that the connections will go from 683 million in 2012 to 93 Million in 2017.
Currently Africa accounts for only 7% of the world’s internet users in the world, with most Internet activity and infrastructure concentrated in South Africa, Morocco, Egypt as well as smaller economies like Mauritius and Seychelles.
While the telecommunications market in Africa is still in its early stages of development, it is also one of the fastest-growing in the world. In the 2000s, mobile telephony in Africa has been booming, and mobile telephony is now substantially more widespread than fixed line telephony. Telecommunication companies in Africa are looking at Broadband Wireless Access technologies such as 3G and now 4G LTE as the key to make Internet available to the population at large. Projects are being completed that aim at the realization of Internet backbones that might help cut the cost of bandwidth in African countries which currently is a huge bottleneck in the adoption of internet services in the continent.
Who will be the next billion internet users and how will they look like?
The post [Infographic] Africa Mobile connections predicted to explode to almost a billion by 2017 appeared first on TechPost.
- The future of business matchmaking
- From open data to a collaborative community – looking ahead with TCdata360
- Improved tilapia breeding program in Egypt: A year in review
- Addressing Egypt’s aquaculture challenges
- Reading on Mobile Phones? mLiteracy Opportunities and Challenges
- SKA can help uplift Mozambique, says Vice Minister
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020