Entrepreneurial Orientation in small firms – Values-attitudes-behavior approach
September 20, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine the antecedents of entrepreneurial orientation and also apply the values-attitudes-behavior framework in the context of entrepreneurial behavior. Design/methodology/approach – A quantitative approach is used to test the hypothesis. We employ empirical survey data and partial least squares path modelling in our analyses. Findings – The analyses reveal that owner-manager’s intrinsic work values are strongest drivers of innovative and proactive behaviors, but also other work values are related to EO. Furthermore, growth-oriented attitude is positively related to innovativeness and proactiveness, while more survival-oriented managers exhibit less risk-taking behavior. Research limitations/implications – In this exploratory study we did not control for sector differences. Yet, as sector characteristics may influence the drivers of EO behavior.Practical implications – Our study provides implications for policy makers and practitioners. Entrepreneurial activities and start-ups play a crucial role in many countries as they are vital for economic growths and the countries´ well-being. Given this importance any effective public policy intended to promote new firm creation or entrepreneurial growth of existing small businesses will have to recognize the heterogeneity of entrepreneurs and identify the potential or existing entrepreneurs who are likely to be affected by such policies.Originality/value – This paper is one of the first works linking the entrepreneur’s work values and attitudes to entrepreneurial orientation.
Go to Source
- Technology transfer and innovation: exploring the multifaceted nature of this interaction
- Put Your New Business Model to the Test
- Constructing a multilevel spatial approach in ethnic entrepreneurship studies
- Search for impact takes centre stage for foundations, says new OECD netFWD report
- How To Build a High-Performing Digital Team
- Will Google and Facebook Drive the Drone Agenda in International Development?
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021