Firefox Flicks: Here’s What some African film makers think of the upcoming Firefox OS
August 10, 2013 Editor 0
Firefox Flicks is a global competition by Mozilla and it’s about people around the globe creating videos that tell the story of how having access to the Web through a mobile device can change the way you see the world and how you function within it. The winners walk away with some great prizes at the end of the competition which include $5,000 top prize and $2,500 for the runner-up for the top two flicks from each of the contest regions: Latin America, North America, Asia Pacific and Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
We caught up with the screening of the flicks from entrants in Kampala last Friday at an event organized by the highly vibrant Mozilla Uganda community. This comes barely a month after Mozilla released its first Firefox OS handset — the ZTE Open — that TechPost’s Daniel Mwesigwa thinks will become a one hit wonder in emerging markets like Africa.
Here’s what African Film makers creatively think what will become of the Firefox OS phones.
The Video animation entitled “get it all”by Sseru is really funny. It shows a lady rejecting offers from a gentleman making moves on her until she’s offered a Firefox OS phone! The video took first place position.
This one called “by let it be seen” by Jumartee shows a wedding photographer who’s trying to capture the moments. As the day heats up, his DSLR camera gets a problem when he’s attempting to get the best shot which is when the couple is supposed to kiss. However, he’s saved by his Firefox OS mobile phone when he pulls it out and still manages to capture the shot! It took second place.
Everyone wants it by Nicky Bagz shows a family about to have breakfast while the Dad demos the cool Firefox OS phone, which hugely impresses the kids who start fighting for it. The one who finally owns the phone must be the one who finishes their breakfast first. This video came third place.
The painting by call TheEditor, is about a house wife that Google’s up some recipes using her Firefox OS phone to prepare a great meal for her husband who likes it. This saves her marriage that seemed to be on free fall!
By Smith potrays the Firefox phone as some kind of super hero friend for various kinds of people.
You can follow the global competition here.
The post Firefox Flicks: Here’s What some African film makers think of the upcoming Firefox OS appeared first on TechPost.
- Accept the Smartphone Reality in Development. Everyone Else Has
- Is Facebook Zero the Future of Public Internet Access?
- Bringing Internet to the World’s Villages
- 5 Reasons Why Public Access Matters in the Age of Private Mobile Devices
- The Technology of Nonviolence: How cellphones and crowdsourcing are saving lives and livelihoods
- Free Wikipedia-via-SMS is coming to a mobile phone near you
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021