Data-Driven Analytical Tools for Characterization of Productivity and Service Quality Issues in IT Service Factories
August 2, 2013 Editor 0
In this article, we propose an analytical tool, named the Workload Profile Diagnosis (WPD) method, to evaluate the performance and quality of incident management (IM) systems in information technology (IT) service factories. Based on the normalization of ticket assignment delay and resolution time by their respective service-level agreement, the method computes and plots the spreading of ticket data on a log-log chart.
By comparing the actual and desired distribution values in specific areas, the WPD method diagnoses specific problems and issues in the performance of IM systems such as resource and skill allocation and abnormal behavior, and identifies opportunities for automated resolution or assignment of tickets, increases or decreases in the resources and skills needed, and ultimately aims to strike a better balance between productivity and service quality. In addition to an in-depth description of the WPD method, this article presents its application in the diagnostics of four service pools of a large IT service factory. An empirical study conducted in the IT service factory shows that most of the problems identified by the WPD method were indeed present in the service pools, therefore providing evidence of the validity of the WPD method. We conclude discussing how managers can use the method to detect and evaluate transformational opportunities to increase productivity and service quality in a systematic manner.
- Incorporating Innovation into Iterative Software Development Using the Inventive Problem Solving Methodology
- Development Ideas Hype Cycle for 2014
- Product-process connect in a regenerative innovation decision framework relating feasibility, impact and complexity
- Managing Knowledge Results: An Exploration of the Systems and Practices of Development Agencies
- Emerging Requirements for Technology Management: A Sector-based Scenario Planning Approach
- Use of Social Media in Inbound Open Innovation: Building Capabilities for Absorptive Capacity
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020