Your Chance to Help Out at TechCamp Nairobi with US State Department
July 31, 2013 Editor 0
The U.S. State Department is organizing a TechCamp in Kenya in early September, focused on health solutions. This will be a regional East Africa TechCamp, including participants from Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Ethiopia. The TechCamp Kenya planning team is currently looking for quality local technologists from Kenya and East Africa to be a part of this event!
TechCamps, an initiative led by the U.S. State Department’s Office of eDiplomacy, are a series of technology-focused, capacity-building workshops in cities around the world. Designed specifically to empower civil society groups, TechCamps help in advancing U.S. interests of creating stability in a region, spreading democratic values, and fostering economic growth and transparency, which ultimately leads to better governance.
During the TechCamp process, civil society organizations work closely with local and international technologists to define their biggest challenges and pair them with low cost, easy to implement technology solutions. TechCamp is NOT a hackathon, or a bootcamp. It is a two-day, highly interactive, tightly curated participant led ideation event. At a TechCamp, everyone is required to participate, with no one talking for more than 10 minutes!
To date, the U.S. State Department has hosted more than 20 TechCamps, all over the globe, on various topics such as Open Government, Women’s/Youth Empowerment, Social Inclusion, Education, and Crime and Security.
So, if you are a technologist currently living in East Africa, passionate about the “Tech-For-Social-Good” concept, enthusiastic about participating in this TechCamp for assisting the NGOs working in the health sector, please contact Pritam Kabe and Jamie Findlater, with a brief bio and introduction about yourself.
- Africa: Low-tech Data Access is Still Needed
- Capturing the Innovation Mindset at Bally Technologies
- Do Structural Holes and Network Connectivity Really Affect Entrepreneurial Performance?
- For a Breakthrough Idea, Start by Examining Customer Touch Points
- Social Innovators Collective, Shared Experiences (Without Consultants)
- Innovation Financing, Industrial production and the Growth of Nigeria¡¦s Non-oil Exports
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021