How Can Mobile Services Improve Youth Employment Opportunities?
July 2, 2013 Editor 0
According to the UN, there are 75 million unemployed youth globally, making youth unemployment one of the biggest challenges for both developing and developed countries in the next decade. The factors impacting this complex issue are manifold, and youth themselves paint a grim picture of their present circumstances:
- 74% feel they cannot not access money or capital required to start a business
- 40% need training on how to run a business
- 59% feel that looking for work opportunities was ‘impossible’ with lack of skills and a lack of contacts being some of the highest ranked challenges
This is only an example of what the GSMA Mobile for Employment Programme and Alcatel-Lucent found when they asked youths, mobile operators, and ecosystem partners in Bangladesh, Ghana, Indonesia and Spain for their thoughts on youth employment barriers and how mobile services could help.
What is the opportunity for mobile solutions to combat this problem?
- How can we build a new employment reality for youth?
- What new solutions or initiatives have potential to make needed changes today?
- What are the viable business models for these services?
- And what opportunities do mobile services create for improving the youth employment landscape?
Please RSVP now to join the GSMA and Alcatel-Lucent for a “Mobile for Youth Employment” event – an evening of lively discussions around how mobile services can play a role in helping to get youth on an employment trajectory.
We’ll have lightning-style talks with concrete implementation suggestions from:
- Lauren Dawes, Head of Mobile for Employment, GSMA
- Revital Marom, Head of Market & Consumer Insight, Alcatel-Lucent
- Jacob Korenblum, Founder, Souktel
- And you? RSVP now to present your solution
Before the talks, we will have a networking reception so you can meet fellow thought leaders and decision makers in youth employment, workforce development, and mobile technology.Mobile for Youth Employment
5:30-8:30pm, Wednesday, July 10th 2013
7th Floor, 5 New Street Square
London, EC4A 3BF
Please RSVP now to attend this in-person only event and follow the #GSMAm2w hashtag for real-time discussion highlights.
- Mobile services: a game-changer for the greater good
- Leading Innovation in Multinational Subsidiaries – Part 3
- From Tirole to the WBG Twin Goals: Scaling up competition policies to reduce poverty and boost shared prosperity
- African or Africa-focused Tech Investors
- Women to learn coding and business skills free of charge through Google’s supported #40forward initiative
- Africa: Investment in ICT Will Reduce Africa’s Poverty, Says Itu Boss
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020