Experiential Learning for Developing Managers: A Practical Model
June 28, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – This paper’s purpose is to create a practical system for assessing the need for developmental opportunities for management development while functioning on the job and to assist managers in selecting from those opportunities. This includes assessment strategies, discussion of developmental patterns, and potential gains in organizational commitment and managerial performance.Design/methodology/approach – A model is proposed for connecting previously established management competencies to developmental opportunities in the manager’s current task and group environments.Findings – Self-assessment instruments are presented for general management competencies and for task structure with notes on how managers, their supervisors and/or mentors might complete those ratings in order to then use the proposed action model for learning/development.
Practical implications – The potential impact of managerial coaching processes or diversity in organizational cultural contexts on the use of this model are noted.Originality/value – This paper presents a new model for self-assessment of managerial development needs, discusses how those can be linked with on-the-job tasks within an existing job placement and organization. While the literature documents the value of developmental opportunities, no system exists for the assessment or selection of a developmental plan within an existing job title or organization. The proposed model fills a large conceptual gap in mapping a manager’s personal career goals onto the organization’s career paths or management development system objectives.
Go to Source
- ‘Borrow’ Business Models to Reinvent Your Industry
- When monetizing a digital service, these are the commissions you can ask per industry.
- Profits, R&D, and innovation–a model and a test
- Meet Your New R&D Team: Social Entrepreneurs
- ‘Social franchising’ is hot, but it’s easier said than done
- Research Say’s it is a Reality Wind Energy Can Meet Future Energy Needs
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020