Empowerment and Entrepreneurship: A Theoretical Framework
June 28, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – This paper develops an empirically informed conceptual framework to analyse the gendered relationship between empowerment and entrepreneurship contextualised within the lives of displaced Palestinian migrant women operating home-based enterprises in Amman, Jordan.
Design/methodology/approach – A longitudinal qualitative study, spanning a decade, was undertaken during which semi-structured in-depth interviews were regularly conducted with forty three women producing high quality traditional embroidered goods within home based enterprises. The empirical material was utilised to inform and illustrate the creation of an empowerment framework.Findings – Entrepreneurship is popularly presented as an individually focused economic undertaking. However, this paper demonstrates it is also a socio-politically situated activity; within this particular context, marginalised subordinated women were empowered through their home based enterprises to gain a voice and visibility within their community whilst effecting change and development.
Originality/value – This paper offers a significant contribution in providing a gender informed theoretical framework to inform the analyses of empowerment and entrepreneurship. The discussion describes the necessary processes for development goals to be realised, and explains how traditionally subordinated women can utilise enterprise to contribute to social change. In so doing, the proposed conceptual framework acts as a theoretical illustration of the gendered relationship between empowerment and entrepreneurship.
- Energy Poverty-The Role of Sierra Leoneans in the Diaspora
- Q&A: Dominique Kuitsouc on climate change in Central Africa
- The Future of Innovation Management: 5 Key Steps for Future Success
- Do you know your valuable customers?
- Smart Cities, Smart Societies, Smart Enterprises
- What it means to “go pro” in data science
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020