Teachers in Afghanistan to receive salaries to their mobile wallets
June 14, 2013 Editor 0
Afghani public school teachers–mostly women–will start receiving their salaries directly to their mobile wallets, bypassing the decades old problem of corruption and inefficiency.
“Once the teachers have received their salaries in their Maiwan bank accounts, they will receive an SMS notification. Because it is a transparent transaction, mobile salary disbursement ensures the teachers get their pay in full amount and on time. Teachers no longer need to travel great distances just to get to a bank branch and withdraw their salaries.”
Maiwan Bank has started setting up exclusive women banking branches all over the country. Financial products, such as personal and business loans, will be available at the bank branches that cater only to women customers.
The pilot initiative, which aims to link 100,000 teachers’ bank accounts with mobile wallets, was conceived and funded by USAID, in collaboration with the Association of Mobile Money Operators of Afghanistan (AMMOA), the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Finance, and Afghan Wireless with Maiwan Bank.
Click the video below to learn more about other mobile-based initiatives targeted toward women in Afghanistan that are currently in the works (video may work best in Chrome).How mobile technology is allowing women to take control of their finances in Afghanistan.Teachers in Afghanistan may soon receive their salaries transparently and directly to their mobile phones. Photo: Toni Greaves for Mercy Corps
- Nigeria: ‘No Development Without Science, Technology’
- SA team reach final round of Nasa Space Apps Challenge
- Biomed Analysis: ‘Frugal’ innovation for good health
- Africa ‘needs more nuanced science cooperation with Europe’
- World Bank seeks $500m for African weather services
- Africa RISING Annual Progress Report 2018 – 2019 now available
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020