RSVP Now for Africa Gathering London on June 21-22
June 6, 2013 Editor 0
Africa Gathering celebrates its fifth anniversary with a conference showcasing the role of African women in the technology sector in Africa, hosted by the BBC Africa Team. We will investigate ideas that have emerged in recent times across the continent and discuss the challenges still present around funding and investment.
Africa Gathering 2013 will be a key event for women innovators and investors who want to discover and invest in African technology ecosystems. We will highlight and debate the rise of women in technology across Africa through a special series of themed presentations and in-depth networking.
“We will demonstrate how African innovators – especially women – are moving fast and taking the lead in developing amazing local technological solutions. We also aim to demystify the relationship between investors and African entrepreneurs.” said conference curator Marieme Jamme.
During the two-day event moderated by Wayan Vota, experts and important thinkers will inspire delegates with in-depth panels, educational presentations and thought leadership sessions. We will offer a new perspective to encourage active involvement from Africa-focused businesses, investors, and funders, by highlighting grassroots, emerging technologies, and solutions relevant to Africa.
Be sure to get your ticket now! The early bird discount ends on Saturday.
Africa Gathering 2013
Friday, June 21: 2pm to 6pm
Saturday, June 22: 11am to 5pm
BBC Broadcasting House
Portland Place London W1A 1AA
- Vera Kwakofi – Current Affairs Editor- BBC Africa
- Caroline Whaley – GM, Creative Development- Nike Foundation
- Caroline Kende-Robb – Executive Director – Africa Progress Panel
- Dr. Maggie Aderin -Pocock- Space Scientist
- Paul-Harry Aithnard – Group Head of Securities, Asset Management & Research – Ecobank Group
- Jamie Drummond – Executive Director- One International
- Tony Burkson Technology Evangelist. – Technology Evangelist- London
- Jamila Abass – Co-founder and CEO of MFarm Ltd- Akirachix- Kenya
- Miriam Quansah – Social Media Producer- BBC Africa
- Ken Banks – Founder of kiwanja.net and FrontlineSMS
Day One Activities
Super-sessions on Women and Entrepreneurship and Investment for Innovation in Africa: In partnership with Venture Capital for Africa delegates will discuss the role of women and technology in Africa and share best practices and methodologies.
Day Two Activities
Plenary and brainstorming sessions with presentations by a range of speakers showcasing their businesses, technology applications and ideas will take place during the day to allow more informal interactions between attendees under our palaver tree.
- Video technology update allows for various forms of filtering
- Finger millet genomics project to provide researchers with better tools for variety production
- Big steps toward Ghana’s digital future
- Financial influences on export status of small and medium-sized enterprises in an emerging economy
- Four Lessons From a Social Entrepreneur
- Narratives of transition from social to enterprise: You can’t get there from here!
Categories: Feature Articles
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020