Innovative ICT-Mediated Activities for People, Profit and Planet
May 26, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – Solutions to complex environmental problems rely on the innovative knowledge and expertise of many professions whose members accept their responsibilities towards the environment. The study described here canvases Information Systems (IS) professionals for their perspectives, knowledge and expertise within the domains of Green IT and Green IS.
Design/methodology/approach – Following a review of the Green IT and IS literature, two topics were identified for a Q-study conducted among IS professionals: Topic 1 focussed on which technologies, systems and applications offer the greatest opportunity in solving environmental problems, and Topic 2 on what sets of issues affect these green opportunities. Activity Theory was used to interpret the factors emerging from the Q-study.Findings – Three categories of activities were identified on Topic 1 involving ICT support for “teleworking and teleconferencing”, “monitoring, optimising, and modelling” and influencing human understanding and behaviour”. The Topic 2 responses were quite varied.
Research limitations/implications – A Q-study is both subjective and exploratory not seeking consensus but rather the breadth of opinion on a topic. The findings on topic 1 indicate three directions for future research and topic 2 identified many issues to consider in pursuing Green outcomes.Practical implications – The varied issues identified on Topic 2 reveal the interconnection of environmental projects with economic and social issues.Originality/value – Following this study of IS professionals we call on other professions to consider applying the expertise of their respective fields to the environmental cause.
Go to Source
- Reviewing The Influence Of IT Applications Such As Implementing Online Distribution Channels In Hotel Industry
- GM cassava study retracted over ‘missing’ data
- 3G coverage poor in Kenya, study shows
- Introducing Internet-Based Services in the Mountain Areas of Nepal: An Asset Pentagon Perspective
- iHub Research Gets Funding For ICT Hubs Study
- Breakthrough in the battle against malaria
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021