Music as a Framework to Better Understand Lean Leadership
May 24, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – To explain why most senior managers have great difficulty comprehending and correctly practicing the Lean management system, thereby handicapping their ability to lead enterprise-wide Lean transformations; to describe the depth and richness of relationships between the Lean management system and music; to help improve practitioners’ understanding of Lean management and how to learn it; and to help senior managers recognize the need to personally apply Lean principles and practices daily to become capable Lean leaders.
Design/methodology/approach – Qualitative examination of various characteristics of the Lean management system and music, based in part on author’s experience implementing Lean in manufacturing and service businesses, and also in learning to play music over a nine-year period.Findings – The Lean management system and music share numerous similarities, including the difficulty most people encounter learning each discipline. Highlights the importance of daily practice by senior managers to learn and understand Lean management in order to capably lead enterprise-wide Lean transformations, and to recognize and correct problems in Lean thinking and practice among themselves and others.
Research limitations/implications – Elucidation of the deep similarities between Lean and music does not answer the fundamental question of how to increase the number of senior managers who are interested in becoming capable Lean leaders.
Practical implications – Provides an answer to the question of why it is so difficult for senior managers, and others, to correctly understand and practice the Lean management system. Clarifies the deep level of personal understanding, leadership involvement, and daily routines required to have greater success with Lean management. Originality/value – Presents a novel approach to understanding the Lean management system by using music as the framework. Shows how effective Lean leadership is more the result of daily practice than it is of the personal attributes normally associated with capable leadership. The deep similarities between Lean management and music have not been previously described in the literature.
Go to Source
- Run strikingly fast parallel file searches in Go with sync.ErrGroup
- Replicating M-Pesa: Mobile and Cloud Technology Spur Innovation in Financial Inclusion
- Kenya’s Propensity to Crowdsource
- Africa’s New Science and Innovation Agenda
- Play the ‘Competitive Cities’ game: See whether you’re a guru of urban competitiveness
- Online Legal Service Provider, Barefootlaw introduces Live Video conferencing solution
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021