Key determinants of the successful adoption of new product development methods
May 24, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – In recent years, scholars have devoted increasing attention to the use of methods in new product development. Although their positive impact on product success has been confirmed by a series of studies, little research has so far been conducted into the determinants of the successful method application. The purpose of this paper is to analyze two key determinants for the successful use of methods.
Design/methodology/approach – We adopt a structural equation modeling approach and analyze the subject based on a large empirical sample of 410 product development projects. Findings – The way the new product development process is formalized and the extent of top management support have a significant influence on the successful application of methods. Both factors lead to the use of more methods overall and drive the more thorough and intensive deployment of the specific methods used.
Practical implications – We show how firms that are seeking a more methodical approach to new product development can consciously create the right determinants for the successful adoption of methods and by doing that can increase the success rate of their new product development activities.
Originality/value – Our research adds to the literature on success factors of new product development in two distinct ways. First, we investigate the subject at the level of specific product development projects, based on a large empirical sample and using a structural equation modeling approach, for the first time. Second, the methods investigated were chosen in a systematic, multistep process in which the methods used by several functions involved in new product development were taken into account.
Go to Source
- Applying lean in product development – enabler or inhibitor of creativity?
- Lessons from Ideation: Where Does User Involvement Lead Us?
- The Future of Prototyping Is Now Live
- Platform-based Product Design and Environmental Turbulence: The Mediating Role of Strategic Flexibility
- Enhancing New Product Development (NPD) Portfolio Performance by Shaping the Development Funnel
- The rise of social product development
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021