How do different business models affect intellectual capital?
May 20, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate whether value-creating activities and intellectual capital (IC) accumulation are affected by different business models. Design/methodology/approach – Field visitations and interview-based questionnaires are used for data collection. This study uses the structural equation model to examine Taiwanese original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and original brand manufacturers (OBMs) in China. Findings – Empirical results show that Taiwanese OEMs and OBMs adopt different combinations of value-creating activities, which results in differences in IC accumulation. Taiwanese OEMs have engaged in manufacturing and innovation activities, and have created process and innovation capitals. By contrast, Taiwanese OBMs have developed their marketing channels, human resources, innovation centres, and social networks, and have accumulated their human, customer, process and innovation capitals.
Practical implications – Taiwanese OEMs have cultural advantages and have built productive infrastructure in China. Therefore, these enterprises should transform their business models into OBMs to enhance their market performance. Foreign investors could leverage the experiences and IC of Taiwanese enterprises to make their investments run more smoothly. Originality/value – This paper contributes to the existing literature by investigating relationships among business models, value-creating activities, and IC. This study also provides useful guidance for enterprises considering investing in China and for academics researching in this area.
Go to Source
- Soft Underbelly of Business Model Innovation
- Business-to-Individual Business Models
- What determines the performance of small enterprises in developing countries? Evidence from the handloom industry in Bangladesh
- ‘Borrow’ Business Models to Reinvent Your Industry
- Take your Business Model to the Next Level
- Smarter Ways to Bridge the Innovation Gap
Categories: Public Sector
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020