The Review of Approaches to Knowledge Management System Studies
April 28, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – This paper reviews the current literature of KMS studies in organizations. The authors systematically review according to the principle of innovation studies approach i.e. variance and process approaches. The purpose of the interview is to identify the current state of KMS studies in organizations. By doing this, the way is paved for the authors to find the research gaps, which would facilatively suggest the direction for future research. The authors hope that this review shall be regarded as a source for those who share mutual interests in KMS research and could stimulate further for conducting researches in the area with different approaches in the future.
Design/methodology/approach – Journal articles published within the period of 2003-2013 were collected. The articles were sourced mainly from Emerald, Science Direct, IEEE, MIS Quarterly, as well as some other academic databases. The search was conducted using the keywords such as “knowledge management system” “knowledge repository” “knowledge management tools” “system for knowledge management” and “knowledge-based system”.
Findings – The review of this paper found that the majority of KMS studies are primarily pertaining to adoption, diffusion, usage, and implementation, which are fundamentally based on variance approach. The studies based on process approach are, however, found scarce and still lacking. The authors highlighted the findings and provide critical review of current approach as well as commented on the traditional theories that had been applied, unified, and modified for the studies of KMS in organizations. The authors also suggested some appropriate approach to study KMS in organizations and future direction for further research in this field.
Research limitations/implications – The paper has produced a certain result of review studies from the existing literature during the period of 2003-2013. However, the review mainly focused on the different approaches that looked into the classification of study schemes and theories being applied for the research while not focusing on other aspects that may be relevant to the area of studies.
Originality/value – The result of this review highlights some gaps in the literature in terms of their findings and critical observation on to the theoretical and methodological approaches to the research of KMS studies in organizations. The direction of future research is then suggested as a closing remark.
Go to Source
- The place of communities of practice in knowledge management studies: a critical review
- Strategic analysis of knowledge firms: the links between knowledge management and leadership
- Strategic Analysis of Knowledge Firms: The links between Knowledge Management and Leadership
- Knowledge management and measurement: a critical review
- Knowledge Management in SMEs: A Literature Review
- ALIGNING STRATEGIES AND PROCESSES IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT: A FRAMEWORK
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- In pictures: the 2019 Africa RISING Tanzania monitoring visit August 30, 2019
- Active Internationalization of Software Enterprises: Scale Development and Validation August 30, 2019
- The Manager’s Guide to Leveraging Disruption August 30, 2019
- Key take-aways from a recent Africa RISING exchange visit in Ghana August 30, 2019
- Device that recycles vaporized water from power plants wins MIT $100K May 28, 2019