The Review of Approaches to Knowledge Management System Studies
April 28, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – This paper reviews the current literature of KMS studies in organizations. The authors systematically review according to the principle of innovation studies approach i.e. variance and process approaches. The purpose of the interview is to identify the current state of KMS studies in organizations. By doing this, the way is paved for the authors to find the research gaps, which would facilatively suggest the direction for future research. The authors hope that this review shall be regarded as a source for those who share mutual interests in KMS research and could stimulate further for conducting researches in the area with different approaches in the future.
Design/methodology/approach – Journal articles published within the period of 2003-2013 were collected. The articles were sourced mainly from Emerald, Science Direct, IEEE, MIS Quarterly, as well as some other academic databases. The search was conducted using the keywords such as “knowledge management system” “knowledge repository” “knowledge management tools” “system for knowledge management” and “knowledge-based system”.
Findings – The review of this paper found that the majority of KMS studies are primarily pertaining to adoption, diffusion, usage, and implementation, which are fundamentally based on variance approach. The studies based on process approach are, however, found scarce and still lacking. The authors highlighted the findings and provide critical review of current approach as well as commented on the traditional theories that had been applied, unified, and modified for the studies of KMS in organizations. The authors also suggested some appropriate approach to study KMS in organizations and future direction for further research in this field.
Research limitations/implications – The paper has produced a certain result of review studies from the existing literature during the period of 2003-2013. However, the review mainly focused on the different approaches that looked into the classification of study schemes and theories being applied for the research while not focusing on other aspects that may be relevant to the area of studies.
Originality/value – The result of this review highlights some gaps in the literature in terms of their findings and critical observation on to the theoretical and methodological approaches to the research of KMS studies in organizations. The direction of future research is then suggested as a closing remark.
Go to Source
- It’s not about us: Building competitiveness by breaking down walls
- A 6 Step Guide to Platforms in International Development
- The Complete List of 79 Academic ICT4D Journals and Publications
- Industry clockspeed’s impact on business innovation success factors
- Imitation and Innovation: The Dual Engines of Cultural Learning.
- Tailored skills training needed as global youth unemployment rates rise
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020