HOW COMMUNITY VENTURES MOBILISE RESOURCES: DEVELOPING RESOURCE DEPENDENCE AND EMBEDDEDNESS
April 23, 2013 Editor 0
Publishers note (FSG): Valuable learning for African social entrepreneurs at the community level.
Purpose – This paper aims to build theory on the resource mobilisation process of nascent community ventures (CVs). CVs are a type of social enterprises set up with the aim of creating social wealth within the communities in which they reside. Guided by resource dependence theory, we analyse how CVs introduce new ideas and activities into conservative communities. In particular, we explore how emerging CVs mobilise resources from local communities and how the resource mobilisation process shapes these new ventures.
Design/methodology/approach – We conducted longitudinal case studies on the emergence of two music festivals in rural communities in Norway. Findings – In the early stages of the venture formation process, the nascent CVs had an asymmetric dependence relationship with local resource providers because they lacked legitimacy and resources. The CVs were seeking to introduce new activities, and they simultaneously implemented two strategies to access resources: they adapted to and altered their environment. Throughout the resource mobilisation process, the CVs developed a joint dependence relationship with local resource providers. In later stages of the process, the CVs implemented strategies to increase their embeddedness and engage greater portions of the local communities in the ventures.
Originality/value – Our longitudinal approach to the resource mobilisation process made it possible to reveal how entrepreneurs and local resource providers interact over time to create new CVs. Building on resource dependence theory we provide an explanation for how CVs are able to become embedded in their local communities while introducing new ideas that departs from existing practices.
Go to Source
- A meta-analysis of Contagious Caprine Pleuropneumonia (CCPP) in Ethiopia
- Tunisian Startup Creates More Efficient Means of Harnessing the Wind
- Engineering a better biofuel
- Unleashing Ugandan farmers’ potential through mobile phones
- Solving payments interoperability for universal financial access
- Taking Over from an Incompetent Team Leader
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020