Postmaterialist values and entrepreneurship. A multilevel approach.
April 19, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – Postmaterialist values (autonomy, self-expression, fulfilment of personal goals) have been shown to predict entrepreneurship at the country level. In this paper we aim to expand previous research by testing the relationship between postmaterialism and entrepreneurship at the individual level across 39 countries.
Design/methodology/approach – In a series of multilevel models, with individuals nested within countries, we tested whether individuals’ postmaterialist values predict the probability of becoming an entrepreneur after controlling for income level, age, gender and education level. To do this we used Inglehart’s 12-item Postmaterialism-index. Data was taken from the 1999-2004 database of the World Value Survey on approximately forty-five thousand subjects from 39 countries. Models with random intercepts and random slopes were calculated.
Findings – This paper presents evidence on three issues: postmaterialism decreases a person’s likelihood of becoming an entrepreneur; the effect of postmaterialism on entrepreneurship varies across countries; and this effect is more negative in countries with high levels of entrepreneurship.
Research limitations/implications – Theoretical implications: individuals with materialist values are more likely to be entrepreneurs than postmaterialist individuals. This finding provides support to the hypothesis that entrepreneurs are basically economically driven people.
Practical implications – Practical implications: the efficacy of public policies to promote entrepreneurial activity could be overshadowed by more deeply-rooted cultural orientations, postmaterialism in this case.
Originality/value – The relationship between postmaterialism and entrepreneurship has been studied previously using countries as the unit of analysis; this paper’s main contribution is that it expands this line of research to the individual level of analysis.
Go to Source
- Are you an Innovator /entrepreneur? Do you want to inspire others?
- Initiating nascent entrepreneurial activities
- Striking Gold with Women Entrepreneurs
- Logic alone does not lead to innovation
- Collaborative entrepreneurship and the fostering of entrepreneurialism in developing countries
- Impact of Demographic Factors on Technological Orientations of BOP Entrepreneurs in Ghana
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020