ALIGNING STRATEGIES AND PROCESSES IN KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT: A FRAMEWORK
April 19, 2013 Editor 0
Purpose – Knowledge management (KM) has become a key driver of organisational performance. The existing literature suggests that many organisations fail in their attempts to align their KM strategies with knowledge processes within their organisation. Based on the management literature on alignment, there is a gap in the understanding of how an organisation’s KM strategy and KM processes in workgroups can be aligned. The purpose of this study is to illustrate that alignment in terms of KM is important and underpins the improvement of KM processes in organisations. Design/methodology/approach – A qualitative case study research approach was used to examine alignment between strategy and processes of knowledge in organisations. Three case organisations representing different industry sectors were chosen to examine how organisations align their KM strategies with workgroup knowledge processes.
Findings – This study proposes a Strategic–Workgroup Alignment Framework that explains the key alignment enablers and different alignment approaches required to align KM strategy with workgroup KM processes in organisations.
Research limitations/implications – The authors acknowledge the limitations of this paper. Although the proposed framework provides valuable insights with respect to different alignment approaches, it does not specify how each alignment approach can be assessed in terms of effectiveness and efficiency. As part of the alignment approaches, this study’s focus was between strategy and processes of knowledge: further research could bring to light new alignment options of knowledge and the associated implications.
Originality/value – This study illustrates that organisations can improve the management of knowledge through alignment between KM strategies and KM processes. Such an improvement is also possible in the absence of a KM strategy emphasis, where alignment would require a deeper examination of workgroup knowledge processes. This study also identifies specific alignment enablers to align KM strategy and KM processes.
Go to Source
- How Strong Alignment of Decisions Can Create Resilient Business Model Innovation
- Stop Trying to Engineer Success
- Mapping micro small and medium enterprises from the resource-based view and dynamic capability theory perspectives and innovation classification
- Kenya: New Technology Harvests Platelets From Blood Donors
- How to Tell a Story with Data
- Building a Better Bitcoin
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020