Quotable: Microinsurance penetration set to double by 2020
April 5, 2013 Editor 0
Big changes are on the horizon for the global microinsurance sector.
“Microinsurance, which currently provides coverage for 500 million people, could pass the 1 billion mark by the end of the decade,” says Craig Churchill, Chair of the Microinsurance Network and Head of the ILO’s Microinsurance Innovation Facility.
This boom in coverage means that opportunities for the global re-insurance sector could be huge. It could also mean major changes across a variety of other sectors as well.
Finding a way to make this impressive growth happen in a sustainable way will be the challenge for global insurers and reinsurers over the next several years.
“The expansion of the sector is being facilitated by the emergence of alternative distribution channels and public-private partnerships, the adoption of technological innovations as well as an increased awareness amongst insurance companies of the business case for microinsurance,” commented Eugenio Velasques from Bradesco Seguros e Previdência, one of the leading insurance companies in Brazil.
To read more about microinsurance penetration, check out this article.Microinsurance offers entrepreneurs in poor countries protection against the economic aftermath of severe natural catastrophes. Photo: (Mercy Corps)Related articles:
- Shaping Global Partnerships for a Post-2015 World
- How to Innovate Like an Insurance Carrier
- Insurance against financial catastrophe? The poor aren’t buying it
- A Growing Network of Global Health Innovators
- Free life insurance with your phone bill? Ghana’s Tigo tries it
- Shifts in global water systems — markers of a new geological epoch: The Anthropocene
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021