March 14, 2013 Editor 0
I found this website (http://www.kumatoo.com) and got permission from the owners to use their material. Below is a reproduced from the site:
A great deal of Africans regularly design and manufacture simple or complex equipment with local materials or scrap. However, they do not always have a space where they can express themselves and exhibit their inventions. This virtual space provided by Kumatoo brings together these inventors to give greater visibility to their creations.
Most of them do not necessarily reinvent the wheel of industrial history, but show that their contribution should be taken into account in the industrialization process of the African continent. Graduates or self-taught, these men and women of exception have already built helicopters, cars, space rockets, boats, lawn mowers, etc.. These inventions are almost always self-financed, and it is a constant across the continent.
The list of inventors and their inventions will be updated as we receive information on other inventors so that Africans and the world can see what they are capable of.
The industrial revolution in Africa, which is still in its embryonic stage, will be greatly facilitated if Africans lose their inferiority complex vis-à-vis the rest of the world, begin to believe in themselves and consume made in Africa capital goods. In fact, the vast majority of African inventors design and manufacture equipment to assist in limiting imports. They believe that Africa can become independent in several industrial areas; an ideal that we share within Kumatoo.
- ICT Hubs: What makes them work… and not work?
- Does your country have a National Information and Communication Infrastructure Plan?
- Innovation prize set to reward African inventors
- “African Health Innovation Systems: Preface”
- Visionary African Plant Breeders Tackle Issue of Better and More Available Seed for Farmers
- Fellowships for African women scientists a big hit
Categories: Feature Articles
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018