Mobile Analytics – a RADAR for your app
February 14, 2013 Editor 0
We seldom meet the users of our mobile apps, and most of their communication is indirect where they rate our app in the app store, particularly if our app annoys them. Mobile Analytics gives us the opportunity to discover more about how our mobile apps are being used and whether the app is behaving well. Mobile Analytics can provide early feedback from the field, from real users using your app, so you can improve the app and increase your development velocity while minimizing the effects of various problems with your current version of the app.
However we need to be careful not to invade the user’s privacy or overstep acceptable behaviors compared to their expectations and how other apps gather analytical data in their mobile apps. Over 50% of the top apps already use Mobile Analytics so maybe it’s time for you to do likewise?
There are lots of different providers of Mobile Analytics software and services, and we want to choose the most suitable one for our needs and our app. There are vast differences in capabilities and ethos from one provider to another, behaviour one might encourage the other may ban – so choose carefully and well. Next we need to design how our app will use the library to record analytical data. And we need to know the library will work properly even when there’s no signal for instance if the phone is in flight mode or out of credit.
Julian Harty is visiting m:lab and iHub from the UK. He’s an established author who works with mobile analytics and has also written chapters for several popular technical books on the topic.
- Shopping for all: Mobile technology as social enterprise
- The China-Africa Bond: Science, Technology and Engineering Diplomacy
- Project on wastewater treatment technologies in Tanzania seeks to transform agro-processing industry in eastern Africa
- Social entrepreneurship: an emerging market perspective, some fresh evidence from Ghana
- Digitizing Payments One Cabinet at a Time
- Kenya: Microsoft Thinks Global and Manages Locally
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020