Will We Have Free Worldwide Wireless Internet Access From Google?
February 10, 2013 Editor 0
The last mile is the first mile of cost in Internet access. The barriers to connecting everyone to low-cost, high-speed bandwidth are many, and many people feel we are solving the problem with mobile data – connectivity via mobile phones.
But 3G or even 4G speeds pale in comparison to fiber and WiMax is in its infancy (and often expensive), which means 2G is what most of the world’s population has for access via mobiles. EDGE is just not that edgy. In fact, all these systems pale in comparison to what could be coming: free worldwide bandwidth by Google.
The Wall Street Journal says that Google is going wireless:
“Google is trying to create an experimental wireless network covering its Mountain View, Calif., headquarters, a move that some analysts say could portend the creation of dense and superfast Google wireless networks in other locations”
Now that’s interesting, but not that relevant to the developing world until you think about the angle that Read Write brings to Google’s actions:
“Imagine how much revenue Google could make if it bypassed the cellular carrier’s data offerings and got the subscription fees from the end users directly. Heck, knowing Google, it might give away access to the wireless service, in exchange for advertising placement and maybe some personal data from users.”
High-speed, Internet bandwidth, everywhere, and free. Is this a dream, or could it be reality? And would you welcome our new wireless overlords?
- Android, then Project Loon, and now Project Ara: Google’s big ideas to connect the next 6 billion
- Partnership Expands ICT Support for Ebola Fight in West Africa
- Connectivity equals opportunity: PPPs narrow the “broadband gap”
- Dear Facebook, Google, Microsoft, want to help Africa? Here’s how
- The 4 Barriers to Affordabile Internet in 46 Emerging and Developing Countries
- Google Nexus 5 Is Out: Africa Is Still Not Part Of The Plan
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020