The value added by government venture capital funds compared with independent venture capital funds
January 27, 2013 Editor 0
Available online 3 January 2013
Publication year: 2013
Government venture capital (GVC) funds have been a common policy initiative in European countries to overcome funding gaps in the promotion of early-stage ventures. In this work, we focus on the performance of such government funds. We compare the importance for the firm’s development of post-investment, valueadded activities by GVC firms and independent venture capital (IVC) firms. We use a unique data set based on the results of a survey addressed to young high-techVC-backed firms from seven European countries. The survey gauged the importance of the contribution by the first lead investor in a variety of activity areas, as assessed by the investee companies. Attention was paid to potential adverse effects of the post-investment engagement of investors. Using a composite indicator of the value added, we find no statistically significant difference between the two types of investors. However, the profiles of value added differ across investor types, and, in particular, the contributions of IVC funds prove to be significantly higher than those of GVC funds in a number of areas, including the development of the business idea, professionalisation and exit orientation.
► We study value added to young high-tech firms by government and independent venture capital funds. ► The study is based on a survey to young high-tech firms from seven European countries. ► The overall contribution of the two fund types to their portfolio firms is not different. ► Government funds added less in areas of importance for business development.
- Africa: Remarks By the First Lady At Connecting Continents Event
- Managing Reverse Knowledge Flow in Multinational Corporations
- Facebook: How it Can be Used for Innovation Efforts
- Are You Innovating Too Quickly?
- Africa: Learning On the Go in Africa
- Business Model Canvas Is Replacing Traditional Business Plans
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020