Happy Holidays with an Uplifting Video of iPods in Education in Rwanda
December 25, 2012 Editor 0
Here is an uplifting ICT4E story where Edify is using Teachermate software on iPods to improve educational outcomes in Rwanda and Ghana. Watch the video above and read this quote from Edify:
We’ve been making slow but steady progress with our use of Teachermate in Ghana and Rwanda to improve literacy skills. In Rwanda, we’ve been using iPods to deliver Teachermate over the course of two academic terms. Early results are really encouraging. In Ghana, we’ve been working with two schools for one academic term. When we initiated pre-testing with the students in Ghana, 90% of students scored below 50% on USAID’s Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA). None of the teachers have degrees in education.
Kofi Essien, Country Manager from our implementing partner, Open Learning Exchange – Ghana, comes this important observation:
With each passing day the confidence levels of both teachers and pupils rises tremendously. Pupils now have moved from working in pairs to working on the TM as individuals. Each has an iPod assigned to him/her. Teachers have started to multi-task… In order to make a greater impact on the schools and the quality of education they offer as well as the effect it has on the children for lifelong learning, there is the need to draw up and execute a continuous and comprehensive teacher professional development program for both teachers and management.
The most important finding so far in this work is that we have to support the teachers with training to improve the pace of learning for each child. The teachers and proprietors that we serve are earnest, committed and enthusiastic. They need help on how to meet the needs of each student and technology is one tool that contributes to this goal. The technology that we’re using has been a means to accomplishing this end but we’re seeing slow, uneven progress. Admittedly, we’re just getting started.
And on that note Happy holidays!
- Arab Entrepreneurs Spread the Power of Yalla;
- Biometrics industry set to grow
- Influence of knowledge networking, knowledge base, and knowledge strategy on innovation capability
- 3 Steps to Implement USAID Open Data Policy ADS 579
- Stairways to heaven: Implementing social media in organizations
- Kenya: Kenya to Offer Private Sector Incentives in Sh100 Billion 4G-LTE Rollout
The best feature stories of 2012 If You’re Serious About Ideas, Get Serious About Blogging
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
Popular Post-All time
- A review on biomass-based... 1k views
- Apply Now: $500,000 for Y... 834 views
- Can blockchain disrupt ge... 816 views
- Test Your Value Propositi... 779 views
- Prize-winning projects pr... 740 views