Service-based differentiation strategies for business incubators: Exploring external and internal alignment
December 14, 2012 Editor 0
Publication year: 2012
Source:Technovation, Volume 32, Issue 12
Strategic positioning and fit theories may inform the service-based differentiation strategies that incubators use to secure external and internal alignment. External alignment relates to tenant service expectations and perceptions; internal alignment involves a competence configuration for each strategy alternative. By implementing the proposed framework, an incubator can achieve service differentiation and ultimately enhanced customer (tenant) value. Qualitative research among nonprofit economic development incubators reveals two service-based differentiation positions: specialists and generalists. Whereas extant research advocates only a specialist stance, the present analysis confirms that service-based differentiation can result from a generalist stance. This study offers the first typology of service-based differentiation strategies for incubators that aligns strategy with external and internal variables.
► This article examines service-based differentiation strategies for business incubators. ► Tenant service expectations are aligned with strategic service-based positions. ► A competence configuration is developed for each service-based differentiation alternative.
- Developing ANDI: A Novel Approach to Health Product R&D in Africa
- Apply for $140,000 GSMA mWomen Innovation Fund Grants
- New SA missile technology development project
- Marcelo Coelho and Colin Raney on 3D printing and the digital manufacturing revolution
- From Highs to Lows – Africa has world’s greatest broadband price decreases in 2010
- Is “Command and Collaborate” the New Leadership Model?
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020