Strategic Analysis of Knowledge Firms: The links between Knowledge Management and Leadership
December 10, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – This paper aims to explore and explain the links between KM and leadership in knowledge-intensive firms.
Design/methodology/approach – This study employs an instrumental case-based study on four knowledge-based firms to explore KM and leadership approaches, and the links between them. Data was primarily collected through qualitative interviews with firm managers and direct observations, as well as quantitative data by questionnaire from the firm employees.
Findings – Two combinations of KM and leadership systems were identified. These combinations are personalization-distribution and codification-centralization; which are explained within the theoretical framework of this paper. Other theoretically possible combinations were discussed and argued to be non-viable or non-economical.
Research limitations/implications – As with most qualitative case-based research papers, this research was focused on study of a small number of cases; a limitation that does not allow us to claim a statistical generalization but nevertheless allows us to make analytical generalization. Limitations of this paper include the fact that all cases were located in one country and all were more or less involved with the field of information technology.Practical implications – Practical implications of this paper for managers and company strategists involve alignment of their KM strategy with a relevant leadership system.Originality/value – There has been little research aimed at finding links between KM and leadership in firms, and how this link may lead to increased knowledge exploitation capability for the firm. The present study addresses this issue and presents an evidenced and theoretically supported explanation for this link.
Go to Source
- Strategic analysis of knowledge firms: the links between knowledge management and leadership
- What is an enterprise, anyway?
- The sticks and carrots of integrating users into product development
- Engineering biological systems toward a sustainable bioeconomy.
- Obama’s new fix-Africa-toolbox includes one shiny new tool: private investment
- Kenya: Nokia’s Launches Program to Help Windows Phone Developers Improve APP Visibility
Categories: Knowledge Management
Tags: KM and leadership
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021