Are internal knowledge transfer strategies double-edged swords?
December 10, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – After identifying two kinds of internal knowledge transfer strategies, this study aims to examine their effectiveness and whether they induce knowledge spillovers among firms.
Design/methodology/approach – This study collected data in China and 219 questionnaires were achieved. Then, structure equation model by LISREL was used for hypotheses testing.Findings – The empirical results suggest that both codification and rich-media strategies have positive effects on internal knowledge transfer. Moreover, codification strategy has a negative effect on knowledge spillovers while rich-media strategy does not influence knowledge spillovers significantly. Thus, codification and rich-media strategies are not double-edged swords.Practical implications – This study provides firms two strategies, codification and rich-media, to promote internal knowledge transfer. Moreover, these strategies do not accelerate knowledge spillovers, and codification strategy even reduces knowledge spillovers. Then, firms can use these strategies to construct and sustain competitive advantages.
Originality/value – While many knowledge creation, storage and protection strategies are studied, little is known about internal knowledge transfer strategies. This study suggests two internal knowledge transfer strategies and confirms their effectiveness. Moreover, because there is a puzzle about the relationship between internal knowledge transfer strategies and knowledge spillovers for a long time, this study clarifies the relationship and finds that these strategies do not accelerate knowledge spillovers and some even restrain knowledge spillovers.
Go to Source
- Are internal knowledge transfer strategies double-edged swords?
- Tanzanian farmers cash in on new tomato variety
- Social Innovators Collective, Shared Experiences (Without Consultants)
- The Rockefeller Foundation Finds Impact Investing Key to Driving Development
- New ventures in an emerging industry: access to and use of international resources
- Please RSVP: How Are Community Health Workers Using ICT?
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020