Are internal knowledge transfer strategies double-edged swords?
December 10, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – After identifying two kinds of internal knowledge transfer strategies, this study aims to examine their effectiveness and whether they induce knowledge spillovers among firms.
Design/methodology/approach – This study collected data in China and 219 questionnaires were achieved. Then, structure equation model by LISREL was used for hypotheses testing.Findings – The empirical results suggest that both codification and rich-media strategies have positive effects on internal knowledge transfer. Moreover, codification strategy has a negative effect on knowledge spillovers while rich-media strategy does not influence knowledge spillovers significantly. Thus, codification and rich-media strategies are not double-edged swords.Practical implications – This study provides firms two strategies, codification and rich-media, to promote internal knowledge transfer. Moreover, these strategies do not accelerate knowledge spillovers, and codification strategy even reduces knowledge spillovers. Then, firms can use these strategies to construct and sustain competitive advantages.
Originality/value – While many knowledge creation, storage and protection strategies are studied, little is known about internal knowledge transfer strategies. This study suggests two internal knowledge transfer strategies and confirms their effectiveness. Moreover, because there is a puzzle about the relationship between internal knowledge transfer strategies and knowledge spillovers for a long time, this study clarifies the relationship and finds that these strategies do not accelerate knowledge spillovers and some even restrain knowledge spillovers.
Go to Source
- Are internal knowledge transfer strategies double-edged swords?
- Mini-trees could bring ‘next green revolution’
- Improving SME competitiveness: To target or not to target? What businesses, and how?
- Liberia: Liberia ‘Education Gone High-Tech’, President Impressed
- From white paper writing to white water rafting: A review of three strategies to match learning with real life
- Screening of Girl Rising – empowering young women in ICT and entrepreneurship
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021