The BIG Smallholder Opportunity
October 30, 2012 Editor 0
Over the past few years, agriculture has returned to the center stage of the development agenda – particularly as price fluctuations and demographic growth aggravate the challenge of food security. A staggering 870 million people, 12 percent of the world’s population, are chronically undernourished today. It’s clear that smallholders are important partners for improving food security when considering that, with 500 million farms worldwide, they cultivate most of the land in developing countries. To achieve food security, effective mechanisms to equip smallholders with the right inputs and tools – as Yasmina Zaidman noted in her recent article commemorating World Food Day – as well as integrating smallholders into local, regional and global value chains bear great opportunities.
- How Impact Sourcing is Creating Opportunity
- Mercy Corps’ Agri-Fin Mobile program goes live in Indonesia, Uganda, and Zimbabwe
- Unleashing Ugandan farmers’ potential through mobile phones
- Bringing Sanitation Solutions Inside Homes
- Identifying Digital Opportunities for African Youth
- How can we cut the high costs of remittances to Africa?
Categories: Next Billion
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020