Constituents of radical innovation—exploring the role of strategic orientations and market uncertainty
October 28, 2012 Editor 0
Publication year: 2012
Source:Technovation, Volume 32, Issue 11
Liisa-Maija Sainio, Paavo Ritala, Pia Hurmelinna-Laukkanen
Radical innovations are those that provide the biggest boost to the firm’s competitive edge in terms of technology, market position, and customer value in general. There is continuing debate concerning the organizational conditions and capabilities that promote or prevent the emergence of different types of radical innovation. The aim in this study is to provide further insights into this issue through an empirical investigation covering the role that two firm-specific strategic orientations—namely technology orientation and customer relationship orientation—play in the process. We examine their effect on three different dimensions of radicalness: the technology, the market and the business model, and also consider the moderating effects of market uncertainty on these relationships. Our findings from an empirical cross-industrial study among 209 Finnish companies suggest that a technology orientation enhances all dimensions of innovation radicalness, whereas a customer relationship orientation positively affects the technological and business model dimensions. The analysis also reveals interesting interaction effects in that market uncertainty negatively moderates the effect of a technology orientation on technological and market radicalness. Overall, the results of the study provide novel evidence concerning the constituents of different types of radical innovation and the environmental contingencies that affect their achievement.
► We examine the effect of strategic orientations to radical innovation. ► A technology orientation enhances all dimensions of radicalness. ► Market uncertainty moderates the effect of a technology orientation on technological and market radicalness.
- The moderating role of social networks within the radical innovation process: a multidimensionality of human capital-based analysis
- The abject of entrepreneurship: failure, fiasco, fraud
- Will Black economic empowerment catalyse South African growth?
- Please RSVP Now: Will P2P Financing Succeed Where Microfinance Has Failed?
- Infographic: Why it’s Africa’s turn for an economic boom
- History’s Greatest Thinkers: Champions of Pattern Recognition
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021