Financial Liberalization and Foreign Bank Entry on the Domestic Banking Performance in MENA Countries
October 2, 2012 Editor 0
Abstract: This study examines the impact of financial liberalization and foreign bank entry on the domestic banking sector from 1996 to 2007, and builds upon and expands the work of Lee (2002).
We find that foreign bank entry, financial liberalization, ownership structure and degree of openness of foreign bank entry positively impact domestic banking system operating efficiency, capitalization, risk management, long-term soundness, financial performance as well as economic and financial development.
However, foreign bank entry is associated with reduced profit margins and increased operating costs of domestic banks in countries with less developed capital markets. Empirical evidence seems to support the argument that foreign bank presence leads to better allocation of capital and eliminates connected lending practices.
- International R&D Transfer and Technical Efficiency: Evidence from Panel Study Using Stochastic Frontier Analysis
- How Disruptive Will Innovations from Emerging Markets Be?
- The Dynamic Linkages between Foreign Direct Investment and Domestic Investment in ECOWAS Countries: A Panel Cointegration Analysis
- How Banks Should Finance the Social Sector
- A Global Challenge: Can We Achieve Financial Inclusion by 2020?
- Seeking Effective Policies to Promote Financial Inclusion
Tags: bank, banking, Banking Performance in MENA Countries, capital, costs, Countries, developed, Development, domestic, eliminates, Entry on the Domestic Banking Performance, financial, financial liberalization and foreign bank, foreign, impact, liberalization, liberalization and foreign bank entry, markets, profit
Similarities, challenges and opportunities of Wikipedia content and open source projects Cross-Divisional Innovation in the Large Corporation: Thoughts and Evidence on Its Value and the Role of the Early Stages of Innovation
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018