Perseverance strategies of enterprising individuals
September 25, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to arrive at a conceptual understanding of perseverance processes in the context of enterprising behavior and to outline readily employable perseverance strategies for situations characterized by obstacles, challenges and setbacks.
Design/methodology/approach – This paper presents a process model of perseverance, drawing on elements of control theory and appraisal theory.
Findings – From this model, a variety of perseverance strategies within four broad categories is derived: strategies that affect adversity itself; strategies that change the way adversity is perceived; strategies that reframe the aim that adversity has made difficult to attain; and strategies that help to increase self-regulatory strength. James Dyson’s biography provides examples for the strategies.
Practical implications – The paper discusses a broad variety of strategies to help individuals persevere in reaching their enterprising goals. Originality/value – Although it is a widely held perception that perseverance is needed to successfully start and run a venture, the perseverance process and perseverance strategies have received little research attention.
Go to Source
- Perseverance Strategies of Enterprising Individuals
- Thinking with things
- Four ways start-ups can transform a city
- Research chairs initiative beginning to help generate knowledge
- Mobile developers, integration, and discovery are what count now
- Africa: Online Guides Help Poor Labs Build Their Own Equipment
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021