Environmental sustainability in hotels: a matter of category?
September 25, 2012 Editor 0
As in other economic activities, companies in the hospitality industry have proposed several practices and implemented technology solutions to pursue environmental sustainability of their activities and minimise their impact on climate change.
Some applications of information and communication technologies (ICT) may contribute to the reduction of the demand of supplies, water and energy by hotels. In the present paper, we aim at exploring the influence of the hotel category on the implementation of environmental-friendly technologies in hotels. Considering a sample of Spanish hotels in the most important cities, we evaluate the relationship between the level of implementation of certain technology solutions and the hotel category.
As a result, we observe that, in general, the higher the hotel category, the more intensive the investment in technology solutions. Notwithstanding, for some particular technologies, no significant differences across hotel category are observed. Therefore, we conclude that lodging in an environmental friendly hotel is not a category consideration and we provide a set of recommendations for practitioners and policy makers that may orientate their decisions on ICT for the hospitality industry.
Go to Source
- Calculating the financial risks of renewable energy
- Application of smartphone technology to economic and environmental analysis of building energy conservation strategies
- Climate change actions for sustainable development
- Open Innovation and Firm Performance: The Mediating Role of Social Capital
- Innovative ICT-Mediated Activities for People, Profit and Planet
- Shell’s Open Innovation Toolkit
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018