Environmental sustainability in hotels: a matter of category?
September 25, 2012 Editor 0
As in other economic activities, companies in the hospitality industry have proposed several practices and implemented technology solutions to pursue environmental sustainability of their activities and minimise their impact on climate change.
Some applications of information and communication technologies (ICT) may contribute to the reduction of the demand of supplies, water and energy by hotels. In the present paper, we aim at exploring the influence of the hotel category on the implementation of environmental-friendly technologies in hotels. Considering a sample of Spanish hotels in the most important cities, we evaluate the relationship between the level of implementation of certain technology solutions and the hotel category.
As a result, we observe that, in general, the higher the hotel category, the more intensive the investment in technology solutions. Notwithstanding, for some particular technologies, no significant differences across hotel category are observed. Therefore, we conclude that lodging in an environmental friendly hotel is not a category consideration and we provide a set of recommendations for practitioners and policy makers that may orientate their decisions on ICT for the hospitality industry.
Go to Source
- Determinants and Catalysts in Intrafirm Technology Transfer: Learning From Case Studies
- WeTech Seed Fund for Women and Girls in Computer Science
- Access to finance and financial problems of SMEs: evidence from Egypt
- Service-based differentiation strategies for business incubators: Exploring external and internal alignment
- Development of an integrated product-service roadmap with QFD: A case study on mobile communications
- Grand Challenges Canada announces innovative rising stars in global health
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021