Intellectual Capital in the Caribbean Hospitality Industry: Two Case Studies
September 24, 2012 Editor 0
Publishers note (FSG): Lessons for Hotel chains in Africa
This paper explores the relevance and awareness of IC in two hotel chains in the Caribbean. A qualitative exploratory case study method was used to gain an in-depth understanding of the constructs relating to IC within indigenous Caribbean hotels. The data collection procedures employed were documentation, archival records and twenty interviews with top managers. Content analysis was used as the major technique for analyzing the data.
The major finding is that there is no formal recognition of the construct of IC, but the embedded practices within the organisations suggested the presence of such. The data clustering and analysis of the evidence suggested two themes for HC -personal competencies and human resource praxes; three themes for RC – customer capital, brand and community capital; and three themes for SC – information systems, innovation and organization.
The case studies furtherrevealed that the chains had embedded human resource practices and well established customer relationship management
systems which created linkages among the components of IC.
- 9 Best Practices for Cleaning, Managing, and Tagging Your Data
- New surveys reveal dynamism, challenges of open data-driven businesses in developing countries
- Interpreting Innovation Dynamics with Complexity Theory
- The Embarrassment of Complexity
- How to Tell a Story with Data
- 9 Ethical Considerations in Participatory Digital Mapping with Communities
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021