We like a good business model…Meet M-KOPA
September 6, 2012 Editor 0
The benefits of solar and the technology end are clear. What is now needed are business models that will serve the BOP market. We picked up a piece in the Economist which mentioned M-KOPA.
M-KOPA was established in 2011 following successful consumer trials in Kenya during 2010.
M-KOPA Solar is a revolutionary service which makes high quality d.light solar home systems affordable for rural Kenyans. Customers can conveniently purchase a solar system on a pay-as-you-go basis using M-PESA.
- Transforming solar pumping to eliminate rural poverty
- Guestpost: Business Models, Entrepreneurship, and Poverty Alleviation in Kenya
- Time to let loose? Why lawmakers should ease up on mobile banking rules
- Research team developing model for sustainable desert living
- Solar eclipse: The rise and ‘dusk’ of the Dutch PV innovation system
- Solar Now, Water Later
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018