We like a good business model…Meet M-KOPA
September 6, 2012 Editor 0
The benefits of solar and the technology end are clear. What is now needed are business models that will serve the BOP market. We picked up a piece in the Economist which mentioned M-KOPA.
M-KOPA was established in 2011 following successful consumer trials in Kenya during 2010.
M-KOPA Solar is a revolutionary service which makes high quality d.light solar home systems affordable for rural Kenyans. Customers can conveniently purchase a solar system on a pay-as-you-go basis using M-PESA.
- Illuminating the developing world’s “invisible” consumers
- Seven things you need to know to turn a start-up into a scale-up
- Kenyan scientists release five new canning bean varieties after sixty-year wait
- The secret life of a World Bank actuary
- SMEs are good business for Kenya’s growing banking sector
- Using Technology to Advance Human Rights in Kenya
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021