Valuation For African Startups | 4th September 2012 | iHub
August 31, 2012 Editor 0
Everyone’s talking about Kenya’s technology start-up scene. Just a few days ago, the Economist, who achieved notoriety for their Hopeless Continent issue, ran a great piece about how Kenya’s tech scene is about to take off. Investors are flocking here to cash in early. However, are the Kenyan startups themselves ready for this boom? An important point recently raised was that a lot of local tech-preneurs have no idea how to really quantify how much they’re worth when investors come knocking, leading to the proliferation of “vulture” capitalists taking advantage of under-informed entrepreneurs.
On September 4th from 6-8 p.m at the iHub, Savannah Fund managing partner Mbwana Alliy will walk the iHub community through Valuation Theory basics. Topics that will be covered include:
- Things you can do in a startup that drive valuation
- External factors (outside your control) that drive valuation
- Valuation and the African start-up context
- Is a “large” valuation really the goal?
- Examples of successful valuations
This is an important discussion for anyone who’s looking to grow their startup with any kind of external funding. Register here to attend.
Mbwana Alliy is passionate about product development and launching new ventures in technology. He is an experienced Product Manager within consumer web, enterprise Software & SaaS. He is originally from Tanzania and has lived and worked in 3 continents (USA, Europe and Africa). He has a Bachelor’s Engineering degree from Bristol University and an MBA from Stanford Graduate school of Business.
- Illuminating the developing world’s “invisible” consumers
- Seven things you need to know to turn a start-up into a scale-up
- Kenyan scientists release five new canning bean varieties after sixty-year wait
- The secret life of a World Bank actuary
- SMEs are good business for Kenya’s growing banking sector
- Using Technology to Advance Human Rights in Kenya
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020