Valuation For African Startups | 4th September 2012 | iHub
August 31, 2012 Editor 0
Everyone’s talking about Kenya’s technology start-up scene. Just a few days ago, the Economist, who achieved notoriety for their Hopeless Continent issue, ran a great piece about how Kenya’s tech scene is about to take off. Investors are flocking here to cash in early. However, are the Kenyan startups themselves ready for this boom? An important point recently raised was that a lot of local tech-preneurs have no idea how to really quantify how much they’re worth when investors come knocking, leading to the proliferation of “vulture” capitalists taking advantage of under-informed entrepreneurs.
On September 4th from 6-8 p.m at the iHub, Savannah Fund managing partner Mbwana Alliy will walk the iHub community through Valuation Theory basics. Topics that will be covered include:
- Things you can do in a startup that drive valuation
- External factors (outside your control) that drive valuation
- Valuation and the African start-up context
- Is a “large” valuation really the goal?
- Examples of successful valuations
This is an important discussion for anyone who’s looking to grow their startup with any kind of external funding. Register here to attend.
Mbwana Alliy is passionate about product development and launching new ventures in technology. He is an experienced Product Manager within consumer web, enterprise Software & SaaS. He is originally from Tanzania and has lived and worked in 3 continents (USA, Europe and Africa). He has a Bachelor’s Engineering degree from Bristol University and an MBA from Stanford Graduate school of Business.
- Kenya | Can The Government Outsource to IT SMEs?
- Affordable business training for entrepreneurs and community members at iHub
- Africa’s Savannah Fund And Google’s Eric Schmidt Invest In Binu Mobile Via $2 Million Round
- Top 40 startups selected for DEMO Africa 2012
- Kenyan Information Official Leads an IT Revolution
- Release of Google and iHub Research Mobile Internet Usage Field Survey Results from Kenya and Ghana
Subscribe to our stories
- In pictures: the 2019 Africa RISING Tanzania monitoring visit August 30, 2019
- Active Internationalization of Software Enterprises: Scale Development and Validation August 30, 2019
- The Manager’s Guide to Leveraging Disruption August 30, 2019
- Key take-aways from a recent Africa RISING exchange visit in Ghana August 30, 2019
- Device that recycles vaporized water from power plants wins MIT $100K May 28, 2019