August 22, 2012 Editor 0
Crowdsourcing is a distributed problem-solving and production model. In the classic use of the term, problems are broadcast to an unknown group of solvers in the form of an open call for solutions. Users—also known as the crowd—typically form into online communities, and the crowd submits solutions.
It is simply the the act of outsourcing tasks, traditionally performed by an employee or contractor, to an undefined, large group of people or community (a “crowd”), through an open call. We find several examples in Africa where the concept has form the basis of the business/ social model. The Ushahidi platform is a tool to easily crowdsource information using multiple channels, including SMS, email, Twitter and the web.
The organization uses the concept of crowdsourcing for social activism and public accountability, serving as an initial model for what has been coined as ‘activist mapping’ – the combination of social activism, citizen journalism and geospatial information. Ushahidi offers products that enable local observers to submit reports using their mobile phones or the internet, while simultaneously creating a temporal and geospatial archive of events. AfricaUnsigned.com is another company using the concept as its business model.
Their idea is to connect potential musical talent from the African market, with individuals who love their music and would like to support them go to the next level.
DigitalBridges provides 5 lessons from Crowdsourcing in South Africa.
Crowd sourcing holds potential for social business model organisations.
- CrowdGlobe: The Dead Ushahidi reality behind 12,795 Ushahidi Crowdmaps
- Crowdsourcing Crop Improvement in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Proposal for a Scalable and Inclusive Approach to Food Security
- Crowdsourcing ideas to co-create a smarter future
- The Death of Innovation Crowdsourcing (As We Know It)!
- Invigorate Your Marketing Strategy with Crowdsourcing
- Implementing Open Innovation in the Public Sector
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018