August 22, 2012 Editor 0
Crowdsourcing is a distributed problem-solving and production model. In the classic use of the term, problems are broadcast to an unknown group of solvers in the form of an open call for solutions. Users—also known as the crowd—typically form into online communities, and the crowd submits solutions.
It is simply the the act of outsourcing tasks, traditionally performed by an employee or contractor, to an undefined, large group of people or community (a “crowd”), through an open call. We find several examples in Africa where the concept has form the basis of the business/ social model. The Ushahidi platform is a tool to easily crowdsource information using multiple channels, including SMS, email, Twitter and the web.
The organization uses the concept of crowdsourcing for social activism and public accountability, serving as an initial model for what has been coined as ‘activist mapping’ – the combination of social activism, citizen journalism and geospatial information. Ushahidi offers products that enable local observers to submit reports using their mobile phones or the internet, while simultaneously creating a temporal and geospatial archive of events. AfricaUnsigned.com is another company using the concept as its business model.
Their idea is to connect potential musical talent from the African market, with individuals who love their music and would like to support them go to the next level.
DigitalBridges provides 5 lessons from Crowdsourcing in South Africa.
Crowd sourcing holds potential for social business model organisations.
- Building Business Models
- Deploying e-health service innovations – an early stage business model engineering and regulatory validation approach
- The Embedded Enterprise
- The Hidden Pitfalls of Inclusive Innovation
- The Death of Innovation Crowdsourcing (As We Know It)!
- Crowdfunding for Development: Recommendations Vs. Reality
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020