Customer Integration during Innovation Development: An Exploratory Study in the Logistics Service Industry
August 21, 2012 Editor 0
Previous research has shown that though customer integration during innovation development can enhance companies’ innovation performance, it can also harm innovativeness. A possible reason for these contradicting findings is that innovation development is a dynamic process that requires different tasks. Thus, a more fine-grained picture of how customer-oriented companies engage in customer integration throughout the entire innovation development process is necessary. This article contributes to the innovation and marketing literature by providing insights into how companies co-create knowledge about customer needs relevant for innovation development.
Using a multiple case study design, this study examines four substantive cases that illustrate the activities logistics service providers undertake to integrate customers during the process of idea generation, development and implementation. The results show that companies focus on both proactive and reactive customer integration during idea generation and implementation but refrain from reactive customer integration during development.
- Customer Integration during Innovation Development: An Exploratory Study in the Logistics Service Industry
- To Work with Data, You Need a Lab and a Factory
- Emerging Market Disruptive Innovations
- The long road to full open innovation. Part 1: Tales from the golden age of closed innovation
- A Spiral Approach to Business Model Innovation
- How Emerging-Market Companies Should Expand
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021