Knowledge Management in SMEs: A Literature Review
August 18, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – The aim of this paper is to review research on knowledge management in small and medium-sized enterprises to identify gaps in the current body of knowledge which justify future research directions. Design/methodology/approach – The study consists of a systematic review of 36 refereed empirical articles on knowledge management and small and medium-sized enterprises. Findings – The areas of knowledge management implementation, knowledge management perception, and knowledge transfer are relatively well researched topics; whereas those of knowledge identification, knowledge storage / retention and knowledge utilisation are poorly understood. Given the prevalence of small and medium-sized enterprises there is a strong need for more research on this important topic. The future research directions proposed by the authors may help to develop a greater understanding of knowledge management in small and medium-sized enterprises.
Research limitations/implications – By only using the ProQuest database this study may not have allowed a complete coverage of all empirical articles in the field of knowledge management in small and medium-sized enterprises. Yet, it is believed that the findings provide a valuable understanding of the current situation in this research field. The study proposes a number of future research directions which may stimulate more intensive research in this important field. Originality/value – To the best of the authors´ knowledge, no systematic literature review on this topic has previously been published in academic journals.
Go to Source
- Winning Streak: Sub-Saharan Africa Leads the Way in Doing Business Reforms
- Kenya: Computer Pride Training Centre Holds Its 3rd Graduation Ceremony.
- Consumers’ Creative Talent: Which Characteristics Qualify Consumers for Open Innovation Projects? An Exploration of Asymmetrical Effects
- Linear and Nonlinear Thinking: A Multidimensional Model and Measure
- Relevance of Systems Thinking and Scientific Holism to Social Entrepreneurship
- Local Alternatives for Global Development: Rediscovering Libraries
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021