The Entrepreneurial Behaviour Inventory: A Simulated Incident Method to Assess Corporate Entrepreneurship
August 13, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – This study reports the development and validation of the Entrepreneurial Behaviour Inventory (EBI), an instrument for measuring the entrepreneurial behaviours of corporate managers.
Design/methodology/approach – Through actual consulting experience, interviews and discussions with business owners and company managers, 40 incidents were written to describe ten of the most commonly identified entrepreneurial attributes. The response options were developed using behaviourally anchored rating scales and were validated by rank-order correlation analysis and t-tests. We then conducted a study to examine the dimensionality of the EBI via principal component analysis and to reduce the number of situations from 40 to 12. A confirmatory factory analysis was further conducted using the data from a second sample of corporate managers.
Findings – Through an integrated series of studies, we identified a reliable and valid four-factor structure of the EBI. The dimensions are innovativeness, risk taking, change orientation, and opportunism.
Originality/value – The EBI is an effective and objective instrument for assessing entrepreneurial behaviours applicable to both business owners as well as corporate entrepreneurs. Using a simulated incident method with behaviourally anchored rating scales, the EBI provides a sophisticated means of assessing actual behaviours rather than traits or attitudes. The EBI is useful for classifying types of entrepreneurs and forming the basis for training and developing entrepreneurial corporate managers.
Go to Source
- The entrepreneurial behaviour inventory: A simulated incident method to assess corporate entrepreneurship
- Translating Unseen Needs into Innovations
- BTP—Best Transfer Practices. A tool for qualitative analysis of tech-transfer offices: A cross cultural analysis
- International IMP³rove Award 2015: The Contest for the Global Championship in Innovation Management has Just Opened!
- Mobile data subscriptions account for 99 percent of all Internet access in Kenya
- Transforming cassava peel waste to quality feeds fast-tracked by private sector in Nigeria
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020