Perseverance Strategies of Enterprising Individuals
August 13, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – To arrive at a conceptual understanding of perseverance processes in the context of enterprising behaviour. To outline readily employable perseverance strategies for situations characterized by obstacles, challenges and setbacks.
Design/methodology/approach – This paper presents a process model of perseverance, drawing on elements of control theory (Carver and Scheier 1981, 1998) and appraisal theory (Lazarus, 1966, 1999; Lazarus and Folkman, 1984).
Findings – From this model, it derives a variety of perseverance strategies within four broad categories: strategies that affect adversity itself; strategies that change the way adversity is perceived; strategies that reframe the aim that adversity has made difficult to attain; and strategies that help to increase self-regulatory strength. James Dyson’s biography provides examples for the strategies.
Research limitations/implications – A research agenda is provided.Practical implications – A broad variety of strategies are discussed help individuals to persevere in reaching their enterprising goals.
Originality/value – Although it is a widely held perception that perseverance is needed to successfully start and run a venture, the perseverance process and perseverance strategies have received little research attention.
Go to Source
- Perseverance strategies of enterprising individuals
- Open models for innovation: an accounting-based perspective
- Knowledge management in supporting collaborative innovation community capacity building
- South Africa’s bold new regional aircraft project
- Building up a project complexity framework using an international Delphi study
- How is UX for IoT different?
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021