Perseverance Strategies of Enterprising Individuals
August 13, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – To arrive at a conceptual understanding of perseverance processes in the context of enterprising behaviour. To outline readily employable perseverance strategies for situations characterized by obstacles, challenges and setbacks.
Design/methodology/approach – This paper presents a process model of perseverance, drawing on elements of control theory (Carver and Scheier 1981, 1998) and appraisal theory (Lazarus, 1966, 1999; Lazarus and Folkman, 1984).
Findings – From this model, it derives a variety of perseverance strategies within four broad categories: strategies that affect adversity itself; strategies that change the way adversity is perceived; strategies that reframe the aim that adversity has made difficult to attain; and strategies that help to increase self-regulatory strength. James Dyson’s biography provides examples for the strategies.
Research limitations/implications – A research agenda is provided.Practical implications – A broad variety of strategies are discussed help individuals to persevere in reaching their enterprising goals.
Originality/value – Although it is a widely held perception that perseverance is needed to successfully start and run a venture, the perseverance process and perseverance strategies have received little research attention.
Go to Source
- Perseverance strategies of enterprising individuals
- Becoming entrepreneurial: gaining legitimacy in the nascent phase
- Influences of gendered institutions on women’s entry into entrepreneurship
- Relevance of Systems Thinking and Scientific Holism to Social Entrepreneurship
- A social enterprise business model for social entrepreneurs: theoretical foundations and model development
- Want to support enterprise development in developing countries? Think about the other salient factors. An investigation of Zimbabwe and Pacific Island countries
Subscribe to our stories
- Virtual reality as an urban tourism destination marketing tool January 26, 2020
- Exploring VR experiences of tourists' attachment to a rural destination January 26, 2020
- Sustainable intensification: Is a systems perspective essential for integrated crop-livestock systems? January 16, 2020
- Disseminating maize agronomy technologies using interactive voice response in Malawi–the opportunities and pitfalls January 12, 2020
- Towards a communication-based typology of management control modes: showing the relevance of communicative action for entrepreneurial settings December 24, 2019