Perseverance Strategies of Enterprising Individuals
August 13, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – To arrive at a conceptual understanding of perseverance processes in the context of enterprising behaviour. To outline readily employable perseverance strategies for situations characterized by obstacles, challenges and setbacks.
Design/methodology/approach – This paper presents a process model of perseverance, drawing on elements of control theory (Carver and Scheier 1981, 1998) and appraisal theory (Lazarus, 1966, 1999; Lazarus and Folkman, 1984).
Findings – From this model, it derives a variety of perseverance strategies within four broad categories: strategies that affect adversity itself; strategies that change the way adversity is perceived; strategies that reframe the aim that adversity has made difficult to attain; and strategies that help to increase self-regulatory strength. James Dyson’s biography provides examples for the strategies.
Research limitations/implications – A research agenda is provided.Practical implications – A broad variety of strategies are discussed help individuals to persevere in reaching their enterprising goals.
Originality/value – Although it is a widely held perception that perseverance is needed to successfully start and run a venture, the perseverance process and perseverance strategies have received little research attention.
Go to Source
- Perseverance strategies of enterprising individuals
- Three Things that Actually Motivate Employees
- Golden opportunities for design lie in social-impact projects
- Service Innovation Starts with Culture
- International Women’s Day 2016: What issues are central to agricultural development for women?
- Corporate Social Responsibility: A capitalist ideology?
Tags: enterprising, perseverance process, perseverance strategies
The Entrepreneurial Behaviour Inventory: A Simulated Incident Method to Assess Corporate Entrepreneurship ‘Push’ versus ‘Pull’ Entrepreneurship: an ambiguous distinction?
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
Popular Post-All time
- A review on biomass-based... 1k views
- Apply Now: $500,000 for Y... 834 views
- Can blockchain disrupt ge... 816 views
- Test Your Value Propositi... 779 views
- Prize-winning projects pr... 740 views