Knowledge Management Fishbone: A Standard Framework of Organizational Enablers
July 21, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – The main purpose of this study is to craft and test a framework for the link between knowledge management (KM) and performance in organizations, with a view of providing a deeper understanding of the different KM output levels or stages that this link goes through, as well as highlighting the organizational context of each level in that link.
Design/methodology/approach – A survey method has been used to elicit opinions from 167 mid and top level managers from the top 81 Bahraini businesses.
Findings – The study results produced a fishbone model. Its spine positioned ‘knowledge management activities’ as the first output level, leading to ‘innovation’ as the second, which in turn impacts the organization’s level of ‘agility’, and finally links to ‘performance’ as the head of that skeletal model.
Research limitations/implications – The results highlighted the different organizational enablers for these stages, which have been diagramed as the ribs of the fish skeleton-like model.
Originality/value – The framework may become a standard model, i.e. may work as a reference for academics and practitioners to help evaluate which KM level needs to be emphasized, at what time, and then what critical factors managers should work on, in order to maximize the organization’s outcome from each stage of the model.
Go to Source
- IT-Based Knowledge Capability and Commercialization of Innovations
- Developing a Corporate Knowledge Management Strategy
- Balancing codification and personalization for knowledge reuse: a Markov decision process approach
- Validation of Davenport’s classification structure of knowledge-intensive processes
- Ethical issues in knowledge management: conflict of knowledge ownership
- What is Knowledge Management
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018