Knowledge Management: A Personal Knowledge Network Perspective
July 21, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – In this article, we introduce and discuss the Personal Knowledge Network (PKN) model as an alternative model to KM and PKM that is better adapted to the demands of the new knowledge environments. The PKN model views knowledge as a personal network and represents a knowledge ecological approach to KM.
Design/methodology/approach – Knowledge Management (KM) and Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) have attracted attention over the past two decades and are meanwhile considered as important means to increase organizational and individual performance. In this article, we review previous models of KM and PKM and explore their failure to address the problem of knowledge worker performance and to cope with the constant change and critical challenges of the new knowledge era. We further highlight the crucial need for new KM models that have the potential to overcome the shortcomings of previous models. In light of these shortcomings, we introduce and discuss the Personal Knowledge Network (PKN) model as an alternative model to KM and PKM that is better adapted to the demands of the new knowledge environments.
Findings – Unlike traditional KM/PKM models which view knowledge as a thing or process, the PKN model views knowledge as a personal network and represents a knowledge ecological approach to KM.Originality/value – The focus on personal knowledge and the links to networks and knowledge ecologies in an innovative slant for consideration within KM.
Go to Source
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021