Knowledge Management: A Personal Knowledge Network Perspective
July 21, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – In this article, we introduce and discuss the Personal Knowledge Network (PKN) model as an alternative model to KM and PKM that is better adapted to the demands of the new knowledge environments. The PKN model views knowledge as a personal network and represents a knowledge ecological approach to KM.
Design/methodology/approach – Knowledge Management (KM) and Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) have attracted attention over the past two decades and are meanwhile considered as important means to increase organizational and individual performance. In this article, we review previous models of KM and PKM and explore their failure to address the problem of knowledge worker performance and to cope with the constant change and critical challenges of the new knowledge era. We further highlight the crucial need for new KM models that have the potential to overcome the shortcomings of previous models. In light of these shortcomings, we introduce and discuss the Personal Knowledge Network (PKN) model as an alternative model to KM and PKM that is better adapted to the demands of the new knowledge environments.
Findings – Unlike traditional KM/PKM models which view knowledge as a thing or process, the PKN model views knowledge as a personal network and represents a knowledge ecological approach to KM.Originality/value – The focus on personal knowledge and the links to networks and knowledge ecologies in an innovative slant for consideration within KM.
Go to Source
- KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT IN MNCs – THE IMPORTANCE OF SUBSIDIARY TRANSFER PERFORMANCE
- Classification of supply chain knowledge: a morphological approach
- Ethical issues in knowledge management: conflict of knowledge ownership
- Innovation as a Knowledge-Based Outcome
- Innovation as a knowledge-based outcome
- Teams as a Process for Knowledge Management
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- Prize-winning projects promote healthier eating, smarter crop investments June 28, 2018
- Reliable energy for all June 28, 2018
- Making marble from bottles: plastic waste’s second life in Kenya June 28, 2018
- A regional enterprise to commercialize an integrated technology for waste water treatment and biowaste conversion in eastern Africa May 27, 2018
- Dr Peggy Oti-Boateng May 27, 2018