Knowledge Management: A Personal Knowledge Network Perspective
July 21, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – In this article, we introduce and discuss the Personal Knowledge Network (PKN) model as an alternative model to KM and PKM that is better adapted to the demands of the new knowledge environments. The PKN model views knowledge as a personal network and represents a knowledge ecological approach to KM.
Design/methodology/approach – Knowledge Management (KM) and Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) have attracted attention over the past two decades and are meanwhile considered as important means to increase organizational and individual performance. In this article, we review previous models of KM and PKM and explore their failure to address the problem of knowledge worker performance and to cope with the constant change and critical challenges of the new knowledge era. We further highlight the crucial need for new KM models that have the potential to overcome the shortcomings of previous models. In light of these shortcomings, we introduce and discuss the Personal Knowledge Network (PKN) model as an alternative model to KM and PKM that is better adapted to the demands of the new knowledge environments.
Findings – Unlike traditional KM/PKM models which view knowledge as a thing or process, the PKN model views knowledge as a personal network and represents a knowledge ecological approach to KM.Originality/value – The focus on personal knowledge and the links to networks and knowledge ecologies in an innovative slant for consideration within KM.
Go to Source
- African Tech Bits: Nairobi Dev School Nurturing The Next Generation
- How to Deal with Unfamiliar Situations
- Move Beyond Enterprise IT to an API Strategy
- Case: Open Innovation in the Biorefinery Industry
- 5 Examples of Sustainable Public Internet Access Programs
- Rwanda: Rwanda, Korea Telecom Ink Partnership to Operate Advanced ICT Services in Rwanda in Line With EDPRS2
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020