Knowledge Acquisition: The Roles of Perceived Value of Knowledge Content and Source
July 21, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – This paper proposes the factors that increase or lessen an individual’s tendencies to acquire knowledge from others and uncovers the difference between an expert and a novice in the knowledge domain.
Design/methodology/approach – This study adopted survey method and examined hypotheses by applying Structural Equation Model Method. The unit of analysis was an individual.
Findings – The research illustrates that Individual Knowledge Acquisition is influenced by the recipient’s perceived value of knowledge content and knowledge source. The influence differs between those who are experts and those who are novices in the acquired knowledge domain.
Research limitations/implications – The data were collected from organizations that were willing to participate in the study and not randomly selected, the possibility that the samples were atypical of a more general population exists. This study advances theoretical development by highlighting Individual Knowledge Acquisition which fills the gap between two main knowledge management processes i.e. knowledge transfer and knowledge application.
Practical implications – Management interest in enhancing knowledge exchange should pay attention to value signals both from knowledge content and knowledge source that influence acquiring knowledge by recipients.
Originality/value – By revealing the value factors associated with Individual Knowledge Acquisition and providing empirical evidence, the study contributes to richer understanding of what should be perceived by potential knowledge recipients in order to enhance their acquiring knowledge from others.
Go to Source
- Optimization of hydrogen production from pretreated rice straw waste in a mesophilic up-flow anaerobic staged reactor
- ‘Innovation Gridlock’ Inhibits Positive Change, Says New HP Study
- Firms’ Resource Deployment and Project Leadership in Open Source Software Development
- Unlocking innovation in the Middle East through financial inclusion
- Mobile Entrepreneurs : would you like an Orange API Toolbox?’
- Global spotlight on South African manufacturer’s digital X-ray innovation
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021
- Explicit knowledge networks and their relationship with productivity in SMEs May 30, 2021