Combining open innovation with corporate venturing: a case of how to balance incremental and radical innovation
July 21, 2012 Editor 0
By combining existing research on open innovation and corporate venturing, this article explores methods by which a firm can organise open innovation activities in a comprehensive innovation setup. This setup concurrently manages to create and sustain incremental and radical innovative efforts for developing its business.
Discussions draw on findings from a qualitative case study of the Danish industrial firm Danfoss Group. Findings reveal that employment of inbound, outbound, and coupled open innovation processes vary between the firm’s divisions and incubator as the innovation purposes and strategies of these correspond to different open innovation processes.
Further, the incorporation of open innovation processes into Danfoss’ comprehensive innovation setup highlights that these not only take form in relation to external partners but also between units of the firm, thus the notion of intra and inter open innovation processes is introduced.
Go to Source
- Company aims to achieve $10bn turnover by 2020
- Two Different Perspectives on Open Innovation – Libre versus Control
- Pick up and play
- Platform-based Product Design and Environmental Turbulence: The Mediating Role of Strategic Flexibility
- Social Media Can Play a Role in Business Process Management
- Global Risks of Rejecting Agricultural Biotechnology
Subscribe to our stories
- Entrepreneurial Alertness, Innovation Modes, And Business Models in Small- And Medium-Sized Enterprises December 30, 2021
- The Strategic Role of Design in Driving Digital Innovation June 10, 2021
- Correction to: Hybrid mosquitoes? Evidence from rural Tanzania on how local communities conceptualize and respond to modified mosquitoes as a tool for malaria control June 10, 2021
- BRIEF FOCUS: Optimal spacing for groundnuts in smallholder farming systems June 9, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic: impacts on the achievements of Sustainable Development Goals in Africa June 9, 2021