Knowledge management initiatives in the United Arab Emirates:a baseline study
July 20, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – Purpose – The objective of this paper is to develop baseline data on knowledge management (KM) initiatives of business organizations in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). UAE is a rapidly growing economy in the Arabian Gulf region and it is timely to assess KM initiatives of UAE companies and the barriers and challenges they face in KM adoption and implementation.
Design/methodology/approach – Design/methodology/approach – A survey research design was used to collect data on KM practices of a sample of companies based in the emirates of Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
Findings – Findings – Importance of KM practices is gradually being recognized in UAE and several organizations have initiated a number of KM-related programs. Most KM initiatives are focused on explicit knowledge, and companies are investing significant resources in building their ICT infrastructure. The study documents the importance of a companywide KM strategy, top management commitment, proactive HRM policies, and a supportive cultural environment as the critical success factors to advance KM practice and theory in UAE.
Research limitations/implications – Research limitations – The study employed a non-probability sample which limits its ability to generalize findings to the larger population of UAE business organizations.
Practical implications – Practical implications – The study offers much-needed baseline data on KM initiatives of UAE companies, the benefits they associate with KM and barriers they must overcome to implement KM practices. These baseline data are expected to encourage further research on KM in UAE and other Gulf countries.
Originality/value – Originality/value – The study represents a first systematic and comprehensive attempt at reporting baseline data on KM adoption in UAE.
Go to Source
- Why Do Great Ideas Take So Long to Spread?
- How to Do Business Model Innovation for the Established Firm
- Carbon Nanofiber Arrays: A Novel Tool for Microdelivery of Biomolecules to Plants
- A new Toolkit to help develop national broadband strategies
- Promoting communities of innovation: Do industrial policies matter?
- Three shapes of organisational knowledge
Categories: Knowledge Management
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020