Knowledge Management and Strategic Orientation: Leveraging Innovativeness and Performance
July 20, 2012 Editor 0
Purpose – This study investigates whether KM contributes to the development of strategic orientation and to enhance innovativeness, and whether these three factors contribute to improve business performance.
Design/methodology/approach – A sample of 241 Brazilian companies was surveyed, using Web-based questionnaires with 54 questions, using ten-point scales to measure the degree of agreement on each item of each construct. Structural equation modeling techniques were applied for model assessment and analysis of the relationships among constructs. Exploratory factor analysis, confirmatory factor analysis, and path analysis using the technique of Structural Equation Modeling were applied to the data.
Findings – Effective KM contributes positively to strategic orientation. Although there is no significant direct effect of KM on innovativeness, the relationship is significant when mediated by strategic orientation. Similarly, effective KM has no direct effect on business performance, but this relationship becomes statistically significant when mediated by strategic orientation and innovativeness.
Research limitations/implications – The findings indicate KM permeates all relationships among the constructs, corroborating the argument that knowledge is an essential organizational resource that leverages all value-creating activities. The results indicate that both KM and innovativeness produce significant impacts on performance when they are aligned with a strategic orientation that enables the organization to anticipate and respond to changing market conditions.
Originality/value – There is a substantial body of research on several types of relationships involving KM, strategic orientation, innovativeness and performance. This study offers an original contribution by analyzing all of those constructs simultaneously, using established scales so that comparative studies are possible.
Go to Source
- When You’ve Done Enough, Do More
- IT-Based Knowledge Capability and Commercialization of Innovations
- Understanding the knowledge management-intellectual capital relationship: a two-way analysis
- Role of Top Management in Open Innovation
- Ericsson Applications Awards (EAA) Eastern Africa 2012: Apps for the Networked Society
- Why calling yourself a Startup could be Killing your Business
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020