Grand theories as barriers to using IC concepts
December 16, 2011 Editor 0
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to answer the question “What are the barriers to the use of IC concepts?” by discussing and critiquing two contemporary grand theories about IC, being market-to-book ratios as a representation of IC and that disclosing IC leads to greater profitability.Design/methodology/approach – The paper reviews contemporary IC literature and explores reasons why these grand theories of IC hinder its adoption.Findings – The research finds that these grand theories mislead because they cannot be proven empirically. Therefore, managers should attempt to better understand the possible causal relationships between their people, processes and stakeholders (human, structural and relational capital) rather than adopting someone else’s mousetrap.Practical implications – In order to improve the use of IC concepts they should be examined as differentiation theories of practice that take into account the agent (people) as a unit of analysis, the actual practice of IC and the resultant changes within an organisation, rather than trying to achieve the impossible generalisations of IC grand theories. Researchers need to conduct more critical and performative research into IC rather than ostensive research.Originality/value – Allows academics and practitioners to understand the barriers to implementing IC in organisations, potentially allowing for the development of better engineered IC practices rather than the development of additional IC models.
Go to Source
- Unlocking intellectual capital
- Innovations for Agricultural Value Chains in Africa
- Why Do Great Ideas Take So Long to Spread?
- Are Entrepreneurs Really More Comfortable with Risk?
- Security in VoIP
- The BSCBAS: a Balanced Scorecard-based appraisal system for improving the performance of software organizations
Categories: Public Sector
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020