Farming to Invest in the Future
December 4, 2011 Editor 0
Authored by: Jessie Cronan
At TechnoServe, we talk constantly about impact. Virtually every program we design is built with scale in mind, and there are complicated formulas to figure out just how many lives we can touch with a given level of effort. This makes sense: When your motto is “business solutions to poverty,” you have to keep your eye on the bottom line.
But it is easy, between the Excel spreadsheets and the PowerPoint presentations, to lose track of what, and whom, that bottom line really represents.
Recently, we surveyed more than 150 farmers in our cotton program to better understand the impact that TechnoServe’s work has on their lives and livelihoods. We wanted to get beyond our core indicators – the figures we use across the organization to track our impact – to understand not only how our trainings affected yields and income levels, but also what that increase in income meant for health outcomes, access to education and financial inclusion rates among our clients and their families.
As I leafed through the stack of surveys that towered nearly two feet off my desk, I was very much in “data mode.” And I had an ulterior motive. I was looking for hard numbers to support the widely accepted hypothesis that income generation is a critical weapon in the battle against HIV/AIDS. Moreover, I was hoping to demonstrate that not only is income generation key, but that our specific economic interventions were actually improving health outcomes among vulnerable populations in Swaziland, which has the world’s highest prevalence rate of HIV/AIDS.
- The smart leader: examining the relationship between intelligence and leader development behavior
- Is ICT4D Slowly Dying or Slowly Changing?
- Enterprising open source
- Global hub for SKA officially inaugurated
- Towards a communication-based typology of management control modes: showing the relevance of communicative action for entrepreneurial settings
- Bluetooth Smart going into wireless device chargers
Subscribe to our stories
- SL Crowd Green Solutions September 21, 2020
- Digital transformation in the banking sector: surveys exploration and analytics August 3, 2020
- Why Let Others Disrupt You? Take the Smart Self-Disruption Journey! August 3, 2020
- 5 Tips for Crowdfunding During the Pandemic August 3, 2020
- innovation + africa; +639 new citations August 3, 2020